2011 Reading Challenge

Rosa has read 0 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Sunday, July 24

The Hunger Games: Hungry for more...

I fell head head over heels in love with this book and story. Seriously, I have a new favorite.

I love dystopian society books. Ever since I read The Hatchet. This whole survival and primal struggle to live is so riveting. Reminds me how blessed and pampered I am. Hungry? Nuke something, order in, whatever. Minimal effort. Cold? Snuggle up in my memory foam mattess bed. Hot? Turn on the AC. Bored? Find one of A MILLION things I can do. Would I be able to hunt? I consider myself smart, but would I be cunning or clever enough to stay alive when all I have to rely on are my wits?

In this dystopian society North America is now a place called Panem. There are 12 districts all ruled by the iron fist of The Capital. They allude to some sort of rebellion that happened but was squashed by The Capital, years ago. In fact, there used to be a District 13, but it was obliterated and it's ashes and destruction are left as a reminder to the other districts. Also they have The Hunger Games to remind the people of what little power they have.

Kids ages 12-18 put their names in a raffle and once a year; one boy and one girl from each district get chosen as Tributes. These Tributes go to the Capital and are thrown in an arena where they have to outsmart and eventually kill each other until only one survives. The bloodier and more dramatic, the better. And it's all filmed and broadcast live for the entertainment of the people in the Capital.

The story Follows a 15 yr old girl from one of the poorer families in District 12, Katniss. Since her sister just turned 12, it is the first year her name is in the drawing. Unfortunately, her one ticket comes up and when faced with the only person she loves going to the Hunger Games and surely dying, Kat volunteers and takes her place, along w the bakers son, Peeta, who was chosen as the boy Tribute.

Her ordeal is not only surviving, but outsmarting the other Tributes, the Gamekeepers, and trying to win so she can go back home......lots of goodnstuff. Lots of death, lots of gore, and Kat does what she must to stay alive. Especially LOVE the whole Peeta/Katniss ship (of course I would)

I recommend everybody go buy this book and read it. If u like YA, u will not be dissapointed. They are making a movie that is set to be released early next year. DEFINATELY read the book first.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad