2011 Reading Challenge

Rosa has read 0 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Wednesday, May 18

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

This might not make very much sense, but I'm a little sleep deprived. So I purchased this book on a whim, and am I glad it struck my fancy. Don't judge a book by it's cover (this cover made me skim over this book for AGES). I'm glad I finally read the synopsis and bought it. It was just the kick in the butt I needed to pick me out of my book slump.

I purchased the book today and was so into it I considered calling in to work so I could finish it. I know, I have a problem. I'm actively search for a support group. Lol! Seriously, tho....unlike the other book I'm struggling to finish, this one had a very natural flow to it, both in the language and the plot development. It struck such strong invocations of emotions, I swear it felt like I got kicked in the chest sometimes. There was one part that seemed forced, when Grace learns they are shooting in the forest....the whole thing was so panicky and dramatic when the drama hadn't been established yet. If it were a movie scene, it would be a camera dizzyingly cutting in and out and people being sad for someone who just died, only u don't know who died or what's happening, so it's hard to care.

Other than that, I thought it was well written and a good read. I enjoyed the characters and thought the story had a nice blend of adventure, romance, and angst to keep me wanting to skip to end because I was dying with impatience to know what happens. I didn't!

it almost had the feel of fan fiction I've read in the past, in a good way. It's like the author likes her characters enough to consider what they do before she throws in on the page.....or maybe I just have a thing for furry beasts and broody boys. Lol! I loved the female characters. They were strong. Not in the way other characters makes their chicks "strong" (petulant and stubborn) and are really damsel in distress-y **cough cough ...Bella Swanson... cough cough*** I HATE weak female characters like that. Grace is a proper heroine. She keeps her cool, she rescues others as well as herself and even though she is human and we get the emotional aspect of the werewolf situation, it's not all mindless sam-sam-sam-Scarlet O'hara-woe-is-me kind of crap.

If you are into urban fantasy, read it. If you like YA supernatural, read it. Heck if you like the three F's (furr, fanged, and fey), read it.