2011 Reading Challenge

Rosa has read 0 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Monday, April 16

Howl's Moving Castle?

I have seen the anime movie and liked it so I thought, sure, I know the story is good, why not give the book a go? I might get more detail and Mabey some more explanation. Instead, I discovered a treasure. I read it through in one day! I cannot wait to read this book to my kids. It is such a wealth of imagination. It's wonderful and I can see why the film was as successful as it was.

The first few chapter are almost the twin of the film, the mousy and shy Sophie is not living life, but existing. Until a spell from the Witch of The Waste turns her into a 90 yr old woman that reflects on the outside, who she is inside and she sets off for her own adventure. I love old lady Sophie. She is more adventurous and doesn't care what people think and frets less. She just does, like a real old lady who is really too old to care. She joins Howl and agrees to help Calcifer break the contract they have, but that's really where the similarities end. The book is definitely more full of magic, color, mystery, and delicious story.

One can't help but fall in love with Howl and Sophie as they find each other, and who doesn't love Calcifer? I love Michael and hells bells, I even grow to love Sophie's family. I love most of all the spin the story had on dimensional traveling. Howl is from Wales in our world and that's where his sisters family still lives. It took me a few minutes to understand because that was something I was really not expecting.

I don't know if I would like to read the next book, I kind of like letting it end here in my head, with the happily ever after they promised me. Recommend it to anyone who liked the movie, anyone who likes fantasy and magic, and anyone who wants a good story. I wonder why it took me so long to find this great story.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad