2011 Reading Challenge

Rosa has read 0 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Wednesday, December 7

Sense And Sensibility

I did enjoy this book, but not as much as I enjoy other works of Miss Austen. For starters, I find the sisters unlikeable and unrealistic. Marianne is too passionate and Elinor too confined in her emotions. I dislike Edward almost completely and think that the early engagement he had with Lucy, makes him foolish and passionate and more a match for Marianne than Elinor. I did like Colonel Brandon. He is probably the only character to keep my affection for the whole of this very long book. I think he and Elinor had a nice friendship and shared intimacies that would have made them a good match.

Miss Austen's style of writting is also more passionate than in other books and couldn't help but suck you in for some parts, but realistically, for me it was too long to tell the story it told and had more fluff to fill pages than was needed. I've read P&P at least 30 times and have loved Persuassion, so this is by no means a knock on Austen books. I just know what I like and this book was okay, but a little bland for my tastes. Maybe I've just outgrown it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad