2011 Reading Challenge

Rosa has read 0 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Thursday, November 10

Frankenstein or Modern Day Promethius


Rosa Folgar's review Nov 10, 11 · edit

Read in November, 2011

Having never seen any Frankenstein movie and never read the book before, I wasn't sure what to expect except the stereotypical bolts in neck monster with a square head and silly speech that gets created by a mad scientist in a creepy castle and I was sure in the end there was going to be angry villagers with torches...oh and an Igor. Boy was I WRONG!! This story was not horror in the scare you creepy tale we think, but it was deplorable and sad how utterly SELFISH Victor Frankenstein is. That was the horrific part. How can people (him specifically) treat a creature, any creature, but most especially a creature HE created with his own two hands with so much contempt? He makes this Being and then blames him for evils and abominations. Ummmm..hello? You created him.

Sorry, really made me upset. I blame Disney. It anthropamorphizes every inanimate object, so of course I would feel more keenly for a sentient being. The creature is rational and leans (all self taught) and speaks more eloquently than any other character in the book. All he ever wanted was a connection. He gets rejected by society, rejected by his creator and denied a mate, eventually he finds the connection thru making his creator his nemesis. And even loses that. His whole life is one big tragic tale. I'm glad I read it. It was an interesting story, even if it did boil my blood and incite violence from time to time. It did not endear me to the romantics, but I did enjoy it. I was bored when Shelly goes on about the beauty of this mountain or that lake (mostly because it was Victor showing more passion for scenery than his creation, but I can't help it). I think everyone should read this book. It teaches more about our own inhumanity in being humans and to me Victor was a hundred times more a monster than ever his creation was.
flag


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad