2011 Reading Challenge

Rosa has read 0 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Sunday, June 9

2B02B

This was only my second ever Kurt Vonnegut read and the first one was about 20 years ago and it was a short story that stuck with me to this day. In a world of perfection with no sickness, balanced life, no old age or death, a world of population control....what is a man to do when his wife gives birth to triplets? For every person brn, there must be a person who volunteers to die. To die, people call the 2B02B pronounced "to be, naught to be" line and get scheduled for a humane gas chamber death. It helps control population and resources and is one of the key elements that keep Utopia running. But at what price. The new dad only has one volunteer ready to die. He now has to choose which baby will live.

I was not expecting the ending, and had to re-read it twice to make sure I didn't miss something. Super quick, short read, I recommend to any dystopian society book lover